Friday, April 11, 2008

The biggest change....

I've been in Nevada for 9 months now, and sometimes still can't believe we made the move. It doesn't seem like 9 months, yet in some ways it does. To date I'm still fighting the overcharges with the moving company, still don't have nary a tool or most garage items unpacked, haven't found (or looked for lately) my crock pot or EPROM programmer. When I do open up a box, I'm often struck with a sense of "Huh! Forgot about that!". Since there are no built in bookshelves like the old house, most books are still packed up. As are lots of things I probably don't need. Will I ever be unpacked?

But it's feeling like home. I no longer flip three light switches looking for the right one, and I can drive home without really looking for my street. My dogs are happy. I love my kitchen. But I tell ya, I'm still lacking PEOPLE. Some KC friends still seem close, others dropped me before I left town, it was kinda weird. Why is it that some people that you rarely saw in person, can no longer pick up the phone or email just cause you moved? In some ways I guess they were never good friends. And I'm not finding good friends here, but I've also kinda given up trying, at least as much as I was 6 months ago. Yeah, there are people that I like & seem OK, but too often I feel like I'm a third wheel, which is a feeling I've ALWAYS hated. One guy has turned out to be a real loser, and it's sad cause he could be OK if he wasn't always so full of bullshit. Another squirrelly guy has actually turned out to be pretty OK, despite being a bit of a loner and a conspiracy theorist. Thankfully we have pinball in common. I know my neighbors about THIS MUCH more than I did when I got here, but I've gotten to know my mailman fairly well. Who woulda guessed?

I'm looking forward to the warmer weather, and that means outdoor work. I actually miss mowing, and a garden is right around the corner! I was a long cold winter and I'm ready for a change. It's supposed to hit 70 today to really give us a taste of things to come. I'm sure in 4 months I'll be bitching about the 110 degree temperature, but I'm going to enjoy the time between.

Looking at my life, this is definitely the biggest chance & change I've ever made. Quitting my corporate job, getting married, buying a house, etc were all huge events, but nothing like this one. I'm still surprised.


(This ramble was brought to you by early morning Folger's)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I moved three plus years ago from Los Angeles to a somewhat small town in the desert, like you I thought my friends of decades, some just casual friends, would keep in touch. NOT. After a few years of me trying to maintain relationships I gave up. I guess they weren't really friends.

As for my new home, it took me the three years to feel like this is my home, now, I'd never go back.

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised that you've gotten to know your mailman so well. I've seen how much you ship.

I've been in this house for 21 years, and it still doesn't feel like home to me. I don't know what that is though, so I guess I don't miss it.

Most of my friends are people who have sought out me. I guess I'm too intimidated to seek out friends myself. I imagine I'd be satisfied being alone, but I suspect that wouldn't be the case.

Anonymous said...

How do you know when someplace feels like home?

T said...

Not true Pablo--you seeked us out, I remember the Geocaching adventure you sent us on for Todd's birthday. How cool was that? We still have the box.

I know how I feel when a place is home--you go away for a trip for a week and you just can't wait to be back "home", and it's such a welcoming feeling to smell your own house when you walk in the door. Oh yea, it's also where all your pets are. ;-)

Anonymous said...

man I hope I'm not that guy you said is full on bulls#$%t.

Robinson