Friday, May 16, 2008

Welcome to the moonscape

Last weekend we started landscaping the back yard, and literally worked on it every day this week (except Monday, I was sunburned). I gotta admit: it's fun. Tracy and I have always liked working our butts off outside and getting dirty and feeling exhausted, and with the back yard a blank slate, we've got plenty to do! No, I don't like the rocks, and digging is a BEYOTCH, and when it's windy the dirt in your eyes suck big time, but it's a good creative outlet and so far so good. Our focus right now is to get areas to PLANT things, tomatoes, peppers, flowers etc, but mainly the toms. Gotta have my toms. So the first project should be an easy one:

Here's my fatness contemplating a circle (actually I broke the damn rake)


Only a few hours later, complete!! Five different tomato plants, Early Girl, Better Boy, Super Sweet 100, Ace (new one on me) and Beef Master.

Stones says: "Where the 'maters!?"

Full view, next project under way. Bigger, better, MORE PLANTS!!!!


Hmmmm.... How's this look... Nah....

Oh, what to do, what to do......


Here's what I settled with. Kinda weaving around and mindless, like me! I wanted to come out further like in the first picture, but I would have had to dig too much and this was going to have to do. The back row of concrete blocks (I REPURPOSED THEM!) should be hidden by the time I'm done (dirt and decorative rock). The next step is to rake out the rocks, the big ones anyway, fill it full of dirt & nature's goodness, till it all together and plant!



Fortunately we're going to a pinball show tomorrow so my hands and back will get a break.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You'd get more traffic to your blog if you'd take pictures of Tracy contemplating the broken rake.

What a project though - a blank slate!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I agree with Sam, though. When this page first opened I thought you were naked.

Anonymous said...

This is the Todd I remember from Kansas City. I just hope you can grow something in that soil.

Anonymous said...

still looks like the moon!
Definite progress though!