Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Here's a question for ya, Christmas cards

Do you ever ponder about Christmas cards? Some people don't send them, that's fine. If you know who they are, it doesn't matter I guess. Just a question to think about: Do you track who reciprocates with Christmas cards?

Mentally or otherwise? Do you care? Does it bother you when you get left out? Ever say anything like "Er... didja get my card?". Can you help but take note of receiving one from someone a week later, often after Christmas, and feel like you mighta been forgotten? Do you take note of who sends and who doesn't, and adjust accordingly? Does it mean anything ya think? Is this all sounding too vain?

Nearly every year, BG's card comes first. It's almost a given. I like that. There are a handful of old friends that always send cards, even though we may not have talked in years. Relatives are pretty predictable, those that do, those that don't, those that are late. I'm used to it.

How about the "family update" letters? Like them? Hate them? Some of them are amazing in how people change. Usually it seems to be finding God, and having children. Ever get insulted by one in an indirect way? I have, this year as a matter of fact. They don't even know it.

How about the photo cards of just the kids? Or the dog? Well, those are great but I'd like to see how my friends look. If anything, I like the family ones the best. The WHOLE family.

The worst? Cards from my investment company. Stop spending my money on this crap your secretary signs and concentrate on my future, idiots. It bugs me knowing those cards are an expense that are somehow paid for by me, the customer. My company has 20,000 brokers, I'm going to guess each has an average of 100 customers, that's a few million bucks or more spent on cards and postage. Oh, and a card stuck on my trash can, just a friendly reminder that Ann Landers suggested tipping in 1962, this to the same jerks that won't take all my trash if it's "too much" or "too heavy", charge me for an extra can, and make messes I have to go clean up in the street. Think again trash can man.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try to send cards every year. I always think I should keep track of what I send/receive, but I don't. I don't care if I get one back or not up to a point. If I know you just don't send cards in general and I choose to send to you, then okay. If I know you send cards out, I send them to you but never get anything in return, then after a few years I will stop.

I know there are some people who are just so busy before the holidays they don't have time to do cards until after Xmas, so maybe you aren't a total afterthought. I forgot a couple people this year (oops!) and didn't get their cards until Xmas Eve, but I can't make myself send them one now b/c then they'll know they were forgotten. Which they already know b/c the didn't get one from us. Makes no sense, I know, but it's how my brain works.

I hate the Xmas letter. HATE it. It's usually how brilliant the kids are/how much Jesus rocks and very little of it is meaningful. We have one family in particular that I look forward to their annual letter b/c it is so atrociously hilarious.

As for the photo cards, I only do them now b/c they're fast and easy and it's what I have time for. I'd love to do an entire family pic with all the people AND pets, but it isn't likely to happen. I, too, prefer to see everyone and not just pics of the kids, but I get how sometimes that isn't possible.

I want to know what everyone does with Xmas cards once Xmas is over. Throw them away? Keep them? Esp the photo ones.

T said...

I send cards every year, but when they are late, it's just cause I can't get our act together in time. Heck, we got our tree up just a few days before xmas, and it's STILL up and it's already 2010! I love getting picture xmas cards, and I love the one's of the whole fam, especially with the pets included but I know it takes a miracle to get the picture taken. And then invariably someone has their eyes closed or one dog just will not cooperate. And cats...forget about it. I love the collage options, that way you can put great shots together. I often wonder, what do people do with our picture cards after the holidays are over? You know, folks who don't know us too well.

We have a friend who always sends out a New Year's card, which I think is great. He gets an extra week to send it! I might do that next year.

The letter. I have a friend who has one of our pups who usually sends a letter, and they write so well in an entertaining way that I enjoy reading it. I missed receiving it this year, but I think it's cause the toddler has them super busy now. Most of the others, I have to think, do I even remember what they said? Not really.

For the paper cards, I make us both read them one last time, then we ditch most of them. (I do keep a few.) For the pictures, I always keep them all. But I'm sorry, if the card has glitter all over it and it comes pouring out of the envelope when I open it, we read it, then it goes straight in the trash. Glitter is not something I have room for in my life.

T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.