Thursday, July 24, 2008

Will I have to bail Tracy out of jail?

Good neighbors! Since we've moved in to this house, we've been battling a little shitty Jack Russell terrier and it's owners. The dog is a yipper, and they leave it outside and it yips from sun up to sun down if allowed. Because of the triangular property layouts, they live in the next cul-de-sac, but the corner or their property meets the corner of our property, so there's really one house and very little space between us.

The first problem was partially resolved. Many months ago, the dog would just walk through their fence (bar type, not wood or chicken wire), cut across the three feet of the other property (which is a neighbor that also complains), and lands on the top of our hill and comes down and barks at my three quiet dogs and me whenever we were out. Apparently we are a threat. No exaggerating, if I opened the back door and my dogs went out, the yippee dog could somehow hear them walking and the barrage of yips were on. It kept getting on our property, and when it took a crap on my patio, I had enough and went over and had a little chat. They put up chicken wire, which stopped the doggy trespassing, but didn't solve the yipping.

Fast Forward to June. YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP!!! At what time? 11:30PM!!! Tracy was heated, she was looking forward to sleeping in and was about to go to bed. Not now, a dog is barking! In her robe, she stormed over and pounded on the door. No answer. Chicken or no one home? 6Am the next morning: YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP!!!! Oh man is she pissed now. Walked over again, pounding on the door, no answer. She's had enough. Calls to the HOA, calls to Animal Control; yeah, they know the house. Letters would be sent, etc etc. Not good enough for Ms. T. She started a petition. On the Saturday before Father's Day, we walked around their cul-de-sac and attempted to get signatures. Of the two people that answered their doors, neither wanted to get involved (spineless people!). One guy said he didn't hear it (wha???????) and an immediate next door neighbor said "I don't want to go there". Regardless, the lady got word of it. Sunday while I was talking to my Pop wishing him Happy Father's Day, I hear yelling. Seems that Jennifer thinks it's our problem, and has come over to bark at Tracy herself! The conversation went something like this:

Are you the lady with the three Golden retrievers?

You must be Jennifer.

What do you do with YOUR dogs when you're not home?

What does THAT matter?

If you've got a problem with my dog, you need to come TALK TO ME!

*I DID*!!! I came over TWICE! AT NEAR MIDNIGHT AND at 6AM!

Well I wasn't home, I was whoring myself out at a bar! (Note 1)

You need to control your dogs. I'm tired of them barking and waking me up!!

Oh yeah, what are you, from California? (Note 2)

Huh?

My dog isn't the problem, YOU'RE the problem. And we BOUGHT a bark collar! (Note 3)

It's kinda blurred, but there were a few "F*** you's" thrown in, and then the lady went to the neighbors and started crying "Don't make me get rid of my dogs again". Yeah, it's happened before.

Note 1: I kinda assumed this, I may be wrong.
Note 2: This was really said, help me here.
Note 3: If it's not a problem, why'd you buy a bark collar?

So this is a month ago. It got AMAZINGLY better very quickly. How nice. Wow. But not for long. Whether the dog got used to being shocked, or the batteries went out, or they took it off, I dunno. We also saw it with a muzzle once, but the yipping is back. What we know is they don't care.

This morning at 6:15, it was yipping again, protecting whatever it is it's in fear of losing. YIP YIP YIP! Tracy stormed to the top of the hill and glared over. The Boy-Toy that lives there came out, brushing his teeth (or teefe), and the FOLLOWING ensued:

Tracy yells over "6:15!! It's a little early isn't it?"

To which the BT replies "The problem is... you opinion is one we don't care about"

Nice! More phone calls are being made today. Fun huh?!?!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drama... Sometimes ya just can't get away from it!

Anonymous said...

I hope I never get on the wrong side of Tracy.

I don't think you'll ever get that neighbor to understand or cooperate, and she'll continue to blame you regardless of the outcome.

Anonymous said...

Jeezus, that is freaking ridiculous. Go, T, Go!!!! I would call Animal Control/HOA/Whoever daily until something changed.

Sam said...

Animals don't deserve owners like that. Clearly you need to do the humanitarian thing and find better owners for the poor dog. Perhaps you could steal it, and find it a better home.

Of course the fun thing would be to create a supersonic directed energy weapon. Use an audio program to generate 20 seconds of a 20kHz tone, and then play it through a small speaker attached to a 2" diameter 3' long tube. Be sure to add a mount so you can attach it to a tripod for stability, and to add a second tube as a sighting scope.

The childish response would be to go past a magazine rack, pull out all the subscription cards, and then help your neighbors expand their range of interests.

Getting back to the original question, will you have to bail Tracy out. . . Tracy looks good in stripes, and chick prison flicks are hot. So there is an upside.

MJR himself said...

Had a similar problem...did what sam suggested. I bought an 8 foot length of 3" plastic drain pipe. Cut the pipe in half. inserted a high cone tweeter in each pipe, taped them together (like a shotgun barrel). Hooked the speakers to a tone generator.
My research said dogs can hear up to 23khz, so we just dialed around above 20k until we hit the right range. worked like a charm. In our case, the dog was about 60 feet away.

Anonymous said...

Off to Rolla, Mo today to move #1 Son into college for grad school. Big U-Haul truck and no good roads to get there. Fun.

T said...

What's kinda funny...the lady is a grade school teacher. I guess it's actually kinda sad...