Thursday, August 09, 2007

Call me a grump

Almost a month here in dry hot Nevada, and I still don't know what to think. I woke up this morning realizing most of what I did yesterday put me in a lousy mood, and it kinda carried over to today. In most respects it's all cause I'm 1500 miles away from my home and friends, or something related in only ways I can figure out. I quickly realized even before I left that though much of my communications in the past with friends was phone, email or chat, some wrote me off months before I left, as if these forms of communication are no good anymore, even though nothing's changed except my physical location. On the other hand, there's a few that it seems like I'm still there. We chat, talk. You get the idea. I've made some attempts to meet pinball people here, and actually have had someone over, but I feel like I'm grasping. And being a self-employed bum in an upper scale neighborhood with no kids to speak of makes it worse. It's VERY quiet on my block from sun up to sun down. It seems as if people are working, then they come home and hole up inside. I thought maybe in a month's time we'd have a heckuva lot more interaction with neighbors, but literally no one's come by. The doorbell has rang only a few times not counting gutter salesmen, UPS and FedEx. To be honest, I can think of once, the lady next door brought over a plant for Tracy to put in the ground, something they apparently had talked about before. People pay for landscaping, pay for mowing, and aren't sitting outside whooping it up. I've smelled one grill, and with Da Nose figured out it was immediately next door, but that's been once. I'm really not one to want to socialize all the time, but sheesh, this is driving me a bit nuts! Tracy works 10 hour days, which means she leaves by 7 and is home about 6 or later. The dogs like it, but they've requested more excursions. I *hate* having a garage stacked to the rafters with boxes of junk. The trash people are assholes. The electric bill was $325. I don't have a big room for pinballs. I miss my garden. The KC house inspection came back with TOO many things that annoyed me (the lot is flat, that could cause problems!).

Man am I grumpy today. It's barely 9AM, I better get out of it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it doesn't make it any easier, but I do know exactly how you feel.

Anonymous said...

"no kids to speak of . . . "

?????

Welcome to South Overland Park, at least when we first moved to the area.

I'll send more postcards.

Toddy said...

I have no kids, so I don't speak of them! Don't read too much in to it buddy....