Thursday, March 27, 2008

What's wrong with people?

Why is it that in an age with SO much great technology at our fingertips, people are still inconsiderate idiots. Case in point today is the fact I was supposed to meet a guy at 9:00 to pick up a stack of DVDs. We emailed back and forth about a half dozen times last night, him on his Blackberry, and set a time this morning, a good 20-25 minute drive for me. I called on my way and got no answer, and doubting myself, I turned around to go home and check the phone number. It was right, and I called again. No answer (and yes, I'm leaving messages). Maybe he gave me the wrong number, but the "Dave" matched up, so I emailed. Nothing. Now it's been an hour and a half and not a word back. We'll see if I'm wrong, that something tragic happened, but I'd place my bets on something else. He's sleeping, he sold them to someone else, he got busy with his jujitsu, SOMETHING. Or I'll never know, it'll just be deleted from Craigslist and I'll always kinda wonder.

Is this worth blogging about? No, maybe not to you, but it gets it off my chest. I'm tired of rude, stupid and irresponsible people, and it only seems to be getting worse. Watching Judge Judy sometimes astounds me, makes me laugh too but it's just appalling. The other day, a couple didn't pay their 19 year old babysitter and she called child protective service to be vindictive. Why didn't they pay? Well, first off, she gave the kids lice!! And well, partially maybe kinda might be because she had a coupla guys over to drink beer, and secondly, she was having sex there on the couple's bed!! Her defense? "My sex life has nothing to do with my babysitting skills!"That's it, that's her reasoning. Sheesh. I can't even comment (Can, won't)

I have this habit of holding the door for people. Maybe my mom brought me up right. It's polite right? And what do you say? Thank you right? Many, not most, but many don't. And all they have to do is look at you and maybe smile and acknowledge it with a nod. Nah!! That's too much effort. My reaction is to tell them "You're Welcome!" when they say nothing, and still, I rarely get a reaction. I'd get more reaction, and it would be more fun to hold the door open and as they walk through, slam it in their face! HA! Gotcha! Thought I was holding it for YOU eh?? WRONG!

What bugs me is it's accepted. Even taught. Misbehaved children have ADD or autism. In the workplace, you literally have to defecate on the bosses desk to get fired, doesn't matter if you're not doing your job! You don't want junk mail, sales calls or people at your door? Good luck, it's their RIGHT to bother you!! What's your good to bad ratio on calling any kind of customer support? I can tell you mine!

An Amazon customer of mine (and I use that loosely) actually used the phrase, "The customer is always right". It infuriates me. Whoever came up with that saying CERTAINLY meant try to give the customer what they want, and strive to please them, but they didn't mean that a customer can do no wrong. That phrase always bothers me for that one reason, it means that the vendor is always wrong when the customer complains. In my case here, the customer is complaining about something HE didn't read about, and he admits that, but he has no fault. Not only does he want a refund, he wants me to pay for return shipping. This is a $3 cable. Is there anything wrong with the cable? No. He just doesn't want it now. He has left me a negative rating publicly lying that the cable is defective and filed claim with Amazon to get his money back. Here's a bit of irony, he WILL get his money back, as Amazon also has a customer is always right policy. But what's interesting is Amazon allows that TWICE, saying that a buyer can make a dissatisfactory claim two times in the lifetime on Amazon. And while I don't get charged for this, it does affect my "Customer Experience Performance". Sigh.

So I ramble. It's what I do.

I started this specifically griping about how bad people are in email. Apparently they have enough brains to find & use a computer, and somehow run an email program, but politeness in email is thrown out for MANY people. Screaming, demands, and lack of common courtesy is the norm. Ignoring instead or replying is almost expected.

Fantasy world:

"For sale, blah blah blah blah"

"Hi! Do you still have Blah Blah? I'm in Sparks, could you tell me if it's green? If so, I'll take it, give me a phone number and/or directions and a time to pick it up"

"Why yes, you're the first to respond. It's an army green with little flowers around the edging. I'm also in Sparks and we can meet at THIS place at noon, my phone number is XXX-XXXX if you get lost, do you want me to cook you a sammich?"

OR

"I'm sorry, it sold pending pick up, I'll email you back if they don't show"

Reality:

"For sale, blah blah blah blah"

"Hi! Do you still have Blah Blah? I'm in Sparks, could you tell me if it's green? If so, I'll take it, give me a phone number and/or directions and a time to pick it up"

(NO RESPONSE)

OR (actually unedited responses to similar inquires)

"Here at home u can pick it up I leave in bluff apt by parr. When can u make it I'm going 2 my mma at 10 am.wat about 9 am "

--------------------------------------------------------

Well, my DVD guy called. Was I right? I dunno. He did apologize, but he was uh... Umm. In class. How about that! We'll see if he's there at 12:30.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like people more than you, but you may be catching up.

I have no words for your Judge Judy babysitting story. None.

& the opening the door thing pisses me off. I go out of my way to say thank you to someone that does it for me and I try to be kind to others in return. People are more polite here with good Southern manners, I guess. Sorry you have a bunch of inconsiderate assholes out there.

Anonymous said...

You're just seeing the examples of bad people. Plus it's mostly in a situation where they can be anonymous (or at least not face an consequences), so they are less guarded and socialized in their behavior.

What happened to our Scrabulous game? I had one more word I could have played with my remaining tiles.