Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Fun at Radio Shack

Everyone knows I'm a nerd, or used to be one anyway. Believe it or not, I had a shy streak too. I'm not sure why I thought of this little story today, but maybe it has something to do with getting up at 2AM thinking it's 5, and the pot of coffee is almost gone.

20 years ago I worked for Radio Shack. Most nerds did, and it was the best work experience of my life. This is also the dating years, and somehow I managed to get a few. There's not many opportunities to hit on girls while working at The Rat Shack, so when a good lookin' gal comes in, you try to make the best of it. I remember it as a cold, near Christmas day, and in to my store comes a very attractive seemingly shapely lady in a long dark mink coat. I'm thinking of how to make small talk, which I'm never good at when I think I'm out of my league, and besides, she's gone straight to the batteries, looks like she knows what she's needing. Man, I wonder if she's wearing anything under that coat. STOP IT. She's going to the counter, I must ring her up! Think of something witty...witty.....

She plops down the batteries.

I muster up.

"My, that's a lot of batteries!"

"Yeah, they're for my vibrator....."

---GULP---

She reaches over and puts her hand on mine and says "I'm kidding".
I recoil in horror. I don't remember much else. We didn't date.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG - that is hilarious!! Exactly why you needed a blog!